I had never tasted a mayonnaise cake until a few months ago when I started my baking business. It is not so popular in my country but when I tasted it, I wanted every baker to try it. Don’t worry it is not as hectic as other chocolate cake recipes. It is scrumptious and you will not get to taste the mayonnaise! You would not even know unless someone mentioned it.
Tips for the perfect mayonnaise cake
- Read through the recipe carefully to make sure you have all ingredients needed.
- Take the correct measurements. Use the scoop method for consistency. Scoop up the flour from your container and use a flat spatula or knife to scrape off the excess flour.
- Use full-fat mayonnaise and not salad dressing!
Do not go for the cheaper option by getting the runny and thin mayo. Mayonnaise is a substitute for oil or fat in cake recipes. Mayonnaise is made of oil, vinegar, and eggs which are all that is why it adds moisture, tenderness, and delicious flavor.
2 cups unsifted flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup water
- Grease and flour bottoms of 2 (9 inches) round baking pans in a medium bowl stir together the first 4 ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl with a mixer at high speed beat the next 3 ingredients, occasionally scraping the bowl, 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low, beat in mayonnaise. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternating water, beginning and ending with flour. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in 180C oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes, remove then cool on wire racks.
- Frost as desired. Garnish with almond slices or sprinkles.